Liquor liability is probably the last thing you would think about when planning a party. But, it is something you should consider depending on the size of your gathering as well as the guest list.
Most of us are unaware that many states hold party hosts responsible for a guests’ actions behind the wheel if the host offered excessive alcohol to their guests. In those states, a victim of a drunk driver has the right to sue the host of the party who served the alcohol. In some cases, criminal charges may apply.
Even if your state doesn’t have social host liquor liability, we all want our guests to be safe on the road after your party so here are some recommendations for how to host a safe fun party.
1) Only invite people you know—and consider cutting from your list anyone you know who habitually overindulges.
2) Suggest your guests choose a spouse or friend as a designated driver.
3) Serve plenty of food and non-alcoholic drinks to help diminish the effects of the alcohol.
4) Include activities like games or dancing that don’t involve alcohol.
5) Stop serving alcohol before the party ends.
6) Call a cab or offer to be the designated driver for a guest who appears intoxicated.
Some suggestions for limiting your exposure to liquor liability even more:
7) Instead of having the party at your home, host the event at a bar or restaurant that has a liquor license.
8) Hire a professional bartender. Professional bartenders may be able to recognize the signs of intoxication—and it’s easier for them to cut off someone they don’t know. Bartender’s who have completed the ServSafe® Alcohol program have this training.
Just to be sure about your liabilities as a host, review your homeowners or renters insurance policy. Your coverage may include damages sought by someone injured by a party guest. Better still call, call the dedicated team at Brady Insurance Group. They are experts about homeowner liability and renters liability insurance. If you are looking for competitive homeowner insurance quotes, we make it easy for you by comparing rates from over 50 A-rated companies in our portfolio. Call us now at 866.764.1944. Or start your online quote now.